Prior to 1840, the old building was a cottage, surrounded by farms and rural countryside. In 1840, the cottage was purchased and became The Westwood National School, a small independent school for the local community. Between 1871 and 1898, the building was The Westwood Reading Room, a place for Lord Leigh's servants and workers to learn how to read and write. Then, in 1898, The Westwood Club & Reading Room, a private members club, was opened for male members.
In the late 2000's, the club constitution was changed to allow women to become members for the first time. In 2014, we reached another significant milestone in our history with the appointment of our first female president, Jill Koltuniak. Since then, we have changed our name to "The Westwood" to better reflect our new and inclusive policy of not requiring customers to also be members.